If you are in the San Diego area, make sure to take the kids to the Sunny Jim Sea Cave. It is a short visit but absolutely worth it. Afterwards, you can walk down towards the beach to watch the sea lions, play at the beach, run around the park, or just take in the breathtaking view of the ocean. It was supposed to be a quick visit, but we ended up spending the whole morning there. It was gorgeous and lots of fun.
Know Before You Go:
- Parking was easy for me but it was a weekday. There is an indoor parking lot right across the street from the entrance of the cave. You can’t miss it.
- To reach the caves you have to walk down 145 steps. Make sure to wear tennis shoes.
- Well, after walking down, you will have to walk back up. It really doesn’t take a long time for adults and older kids, but it might take a bit with a toddler.
- The visit to the cave is very short but if you are in the area it is totally worth a visit.
- Entrance to the cave is $5 for adults and $3 for kids.
- To see the sea lions walk down Coast Boulevard. You will see them on your right side.
- A the bottom of the hill there is a beautiful beach and also a park, so you can make it a beach day.
- There are several restaurants close to the cave. We ended up eating at the Acquavite Ristorante Italiano, which is right next to the entrance to the cave. It was delicious and had several gluten free options.
- If you are looking for more fun things to do for the rest of the day, Old Town is fairly close. Check out this blog post for lots some fun free activities.
The entrance to the cave is inside the Cave Store