Who wants to be dropped off in a huge field of delicious strawberries and let free to eat as many as you want right off the vine for a good 15 minutes? The only place you can do this, is during the strawberry tours at Tanaka Farms. The strawberry feast is after a guided wagon ride around the farm during which you will see and learn about the farm and get to sample 5-6 different fruits/veggies. You also get to take home a 1 pound basket full of strawberries. Totally worth every penny. I have been going on this tour every year for the last 7 years. They get a 10 out of 10, if you ask me!
- Bring water, sunscreen, hats and a bag where you can put the baskets and leftover veggies from the tour.
- Go when your kids are a little hungry maybe during snack time or 30 minutes before lunch time. You will be surprised how vegetable-daring they will be (see picture: my girl 2 years ago eating spinach!).
- Bring wipes. Your kids will be completely red after eating all the strawberries.
- Shoes will get dirty, so maybe don’t wear the most expensive shoes you own :).
- It is free for 2 and under, take advantage of that!
- New this year: some of the strawberries were planted in raised tubes (see picture below). Unless you ask them you won’t know if your tour guide will drop you off at this new area or at the regular strawberry field. If you have a preference, call ahead and ask them.
Weekends: every half an hours from 9:30am to 2:30pm. No reservation needed.
Weekdays: Monday through Friday, tours are available by reservation only.
$ 18 for ages 3+. Free for children 2 and under.
If you have 10 paying kids, kids pay $14 which includes a basket full of delicious strawberries. Adults pay $7 (no basket) or $14 (with basket). For a combination of 15 people (children and adults), it is $14 per person. So get your friends together and take advantage of this discount.
Tanaka Farms, 5380 University Drive, Irvine, 92612.
To see the Strawberry Tours listing on PlanADayOut, click here.