A visit to the Muth Interpretive Center is a must for all Orange County families. This 10,000-square-foot educational facility is dedicated to the preservation of the Upper Newport Bay, the largest of only a few remaining natural estuaries in Southern California. This wonderful place has tons of free activities that will entertain you and your kids for several hours.
Free Activities at the Muth Interpretive Center:
- Lots of exhibits and interactive displays that teach you about the wildlife of the Upper Newport bay.
- Watch the award-winning “Saltmarsh Seasons” in the Ray and Elsa Watson Theater.
- Check out live reptile and amphibian displays.
- Have fun with animal puppets, puzzles, books and crafts.
- Take a walk or a bike ride around the bay and look for birds, fish and animals that hang out in the area. Do you know that Upper Newport Bay is an important rest stop for birds migrating from Canada and Alaska? Up to 30,000 birds can be seen here on any one day during the winter months.
Other Kids’s Activities at the Muth Interpretive Center:
- On Friday morning from 10:30-11:30 they have super fun parent & child classes which may include arts and crafts, storytelling, live animal presentation, hands-on activities and a nature walk. The class is $5 per child and it is well worth it. Reservations are preferred so that they can make sure they have enough craft material for everyone. For ages 2-5. To register call (949) 923 2275 or email email@example.com.
Other Activities close by:
- Free: explore the Back Bay Science Center, tour the teaching lab and aquarium tanks, visit the touch pool touch tank, and do some bird watching. Every Sunday from 10am-2pm. Click here for more info.
- Free: see the diverse plants, birds and other wildlife of six distinct habitats as you take a self-guided tour on a ½ mile nature trail starting at the Big Canyon parking lot. Click here for more info.
- For a fee: on Saturdays and Sundays from 10am to 12pm you can join an experienced naturalist for a guided kayak tour of the back bay. $25/person, ages 8 and up. Click here for more info.
- For a fee: you can also rent a kayak any day of the week for $15/hour ($20/hour for a two person kayak). Ages 8 and up. Click here for more info.
2301 University Avenue, Newport Beach, 92660
Tuesday – Sunday: 10am – 4pm.
Free admission, free parking.
Listing On PlanDayOut:
Click here to get all the information about the Muth Interpretive Center. If you scroll at the bottom of the page you will see a list of events at this location.