Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary is another hidden gem in Orange County. Located in the heart of Modjeska Canyon, this sanctuary includes family-friendly nature trails, a bird observation porch, a sensory garden, and lots and lots of wildlife. They even have a wonderful Natural Science Center with interactive exhibits, live animals, animal taxidermy, and several children’s activities. This is an amazing place to visit with kids of all ages.
Inside the Natural Science Center
Things You Should Know:
- The drive itself is quite an adventure. Just a few minutes after leaving Lake Forest, you start seeing horses in people’s backyards. Once we got closer to the Sanctuary we had to stop because several chickens were crossing the street. You totally feel like you are in another world.
- There are several picnic tables just outside the nature center, so feel free to bring a picnic.
- You can use a stroller to explore the Oakwood trail located across the street from the nature center. However, you will need a baby carrier to explore the sensory trail or the Chaparral trail which are the two trails next to the Natural Science Center.
- The sensory garden can be walked easily by toddlers and preschoolers since it is really short.
- The Chaparral Trail is short but it is a little steep, so your toddler might not like it. But give it a try. It is worth it. Preschoolers and older kids can easily walk this trail.
- You can park across the street from the Natural Science Center for free.
- There are lots of animals living in this area, so your kids can look for track casts along the trails. You can use this map to try to identify them.
Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary
29322 Modjeska Canyon
Silverado, CA, 92676
Tuesday-Sunday 9am-4pm. Closed on Monday and major holidays.
Oakwood Trail across the street from the Natural Science Center