Looking for something to do during the summer? Take a melon tour at Tanaka Farms for a fun outdoor family experience. During the tour you will take a wagon ride around the 30 acre farm, taste delicious fruits and vegetables, learn about their farming methods, see how veggies and fruits grow, and before leaving choose your very own melon to take home.
Know Before You Go:
- Bring water, sunscreen, hats and a bag where you can put the melons and leftover veggies from the tour.
- The kids will be full once the tour is over, especially after tasting four different kinds of melons. Maybe don’t feed them a large breakfast or lunch just before your tour.
- During my tour we got to taste cilantro, carrots, corn, zucchini, yellow squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, seedless watermelon and yellow watermelon.
- Bring wipes. Your kids will need them after sampling several delicious melons
- Avoid wearing sandals/flip-flops, open-toed shoes or high heels.
- The guides provide very fun facts about the farm and fruits/vegetables but it is often hard to hear them unless you sit close by. The guides stand in between the two wagons so try to sit as close as you can to them.
- For part of the tour, you will sit on hay bales, so I would advise to avoid shorts. Or bring something to lay down before you sit :).
- It is free for 2 and under, take advantage of that!
Weekends: every half an hour from 9:30am to 2:30pm. No reservation needed.
Weekdays: days and hours change every week. Click here to see the schedule.
$ 18 for ages 3+. Free for children 2 and under.
If you have 10 paying kids, kids pay $14 (includes a melon to take home). Adults pay $7 (no melon). So get your friends together and take advantage of this discount. If you are planning a group visit, you need to make a reservation by calling 949-653-2100 ext. 204.
Tanaka Farms, 5380 University Drive, Irvine, 92612.