If your kids love fish, this is a fun, quick trip. The Laguna Koi Ponds are located on Laguna Canyon Drive in Laguna Beach. It’s free! Its small size is great for toddlers and preschoolers. There are so many types of koi- from large to small and in a variety of colors. The fish are pretty “interactive” when you come near their tank, swimming up to you and making “feed me!” faces. There are also a few ponds with cool aquatic plants and some big turtles. Afterward, you can head down the road to the Pacific Marine Mammal Center and check out the seals and sea lions.
- Koi fish in all colors and sizes. A few of them were definitely bigger than our pet cat at home!
- Kids can view the fish close up. There are many low tanks that are the perfect height for little ones.
- The trickling fountains and the shady location make it a relaxing place to go on a warm day.
- Turtles love to bask in the sun on a warm rock.
Know Before You Go
- The Laguna Koi Ponds is not a nature center, but a business with fish for sale.
- The Laguna Koi Ponds is about a half mile after you turn onto Laguna Canyon Road. It’s easy to miss, so keep your eyes peeled. There are a few spaces directly out front, but parking may be tough during the busier summer months.
- Don’t expect to stay more than 20 minutes, unless your kids are really interested in fish.
- Keep a close eye on your kids. There are a lot of ponds and open tanks that are low to the ground. Please don’t touch the fish.
- Traffic can be heavy during the summer, especially on Laguna Canyon Road. Plan for extra time and take care backing out of your parking spot onto the busy road.
About the Author
Amy and her husband have two boys 2 and 5. She loves to find fun places to keep her active guys busy! Parks, beaches and special events are on her top list of things to do with her family.